RAAF Canguri alati

72sq_Rollo
Team
Team
Contatta:

Messaggio da 72sq_Rollo »

Ecco la risposta della RAAF al nostro dilemma:

G'Day Enrico,

Thanks for your e-mail. During World War II the RAAF conducted numerous trails of captured enemy aircraft both officially and unofficially. Two RAAF units officially involved were the Special Duties and Performance Flight which was replaced in 1943 by No 1 Air Performance Unit. It was more typical for Japanese aircraft to be tested in Australia rather than German or Italian.

It was however more common that Squadrons in the field would unofficially take on trail flights of captured enemy aircraft when there was an opportunity. For example, 3 SQN RAAF had a C202 and later a C205 which were flown over a long period, with the aircraft remaining with the unit through successive redeployments. The reports from 3 SQN indicate that all the squadron's pilots were encouraged to fly the aircraft and gain experience on the performance and handling f the enemy's aircraft. There is also records of other RAAF squadrons acquiring and operating a Messerschmitt Bf109G, a Friessler Storch, Ca 309, Ca 100 and even a Henschel 126.

I hope this answers your question. If you require any additional information please e-mail me.

Regards

Martin James
Senior Historical Officer
Office of Air Force History - APDC
martin.james@defence.gov.au
72sq_SilVal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Contatta:

Messaggio da 72sq_SilVal »

Molto interessante questo contributo!

Quindi i velivoli italiani erano Caproni, nonchè Macchi 202- 205 !!

Sono andato a documentarmi un pò nell' ottimo sito dell' AUSTRALIAN WAR MEMORIAL, che contiene un completo database di tutti i volumi storici relativi ai conflitti combattuti dalle forze australiane ( con i relativi testi disponibili in pdf...... proprio come l'Archivio nazionale italiano.......:whip:)

Ecco il link relativo alla Seconda guerra Mondiale:

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/volume.asp?conflict=2

alla Royal Australian Air Force:

http://www.awm.gov.au/research/infosheets/raaf_ww2.asp

e al Terzo stormo, del quale vengono descritti sommariamente i teatri di guerra in cui fu impiegato:

http://www.awm.gov.au/units/unit_11023s ... ld_war.asp

In sintesi:

1) Arriving in Egypt on 23 August 1940

2)Was involved in the first Allied campaign in Libya between November 1940 and April 1941

3)In September 1941 it returned to the see-sawing war in North Africa, which finally ended with the defeat of the Axis forces in Tunisia in May 1943

4)Operating from Malta initially, the squadron supported Allied operations in Sicily between July and August 1943. Sicily was a stepping-stone to Italy, which became 3 Squadron’s principal area of operations for the rest of the war.

5)3 Squadron’s war was brought to an end by the surrender of German forces in Italy on 2 May 1945.

Sta a vedere che i piloti del 3rd Sqn hanno avuto incontri ravvicinati con i Macchi della 72a !!! :D

Comunque è comprensibile a questo punto che abbiano provato velivoli di preda bellica; del resto, prima di essere equipaggiato con i P-51 l'articolo dice che utilizzavano P-40 in molte varianti, che non direi che fossero superiori a Macchi 202 e soprattutto 205......

Enrico, non è che potresti domandare se esistono fotografie dei velivoli di preda bellica con i colori degli " Aussies"? ( che poi sarebbero quelli della RAF) :wink:
Immagine
72sq_Rollo
Team
Team
Contatta:

Messaggio da 72sq_Rollo »

già fatto!

:D
Rispondi